Prosecco area

Prosecco is a wine that can be produced exclusively in the North-East part of Italy, in the Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia regions…

Prosecco territory

 

Prosecco is a wine that can be produced exclusively in the North-East part of Italy, in the Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia regions. The main grape variety is “Glera”, at least 85%, the remaining 15% can derive from 3 native varieties: Verdiso, Bianchetta, Perera or from the more common Pinot and Chardonnay varieties.
It is important to outline the different Prosecco production areas:

NORD EST ITALIA

Prosecco DOC area

 

1) Prosecco DOC (Controlled Origin Denomination):
The DOC (brown) area covers the largest surface for Prosecco production. These are mainly new planted vineyards in the plains where the cultivation methods are carried out entirely by machinery in order to reach high volumes and low production costs to satisfy the requirements of a growing international distribution market. The yield is 18 tons/hectare.

Numbers

 

500 Million bottles
23.500 Ha
180 qli/Ha

DOC

Prosecco DOCG area

 

2) Prosecco Superiore DOCG (Controlled and Guaranteed Origin Denomination):
The DOCG (green) area includes the Conegliano-Valdobbiadene and Asolo Denominations. Thank’s to the mineral rich soils and a mild climate, these hilly surfaces offer the best natural habitat for the Glera grape variety. Production processes, here, are carried out entirely by hand and production yield is reduced to 13.5 tons/hectare to enhance the wine quality. The steepest slopes carry the “RIVE” name, which represents a Prosecco Superiore DOCG sparkling wine made from grapes coming from a single district with a lower yield of 13 tons/hectare.

DOCG

Numbers

 

110 Million bottles
10.000 Ha
135 qli/Ha

DOCG Superiore di Cartizze area

 

3) Valdobbiadene DOCG SUPERIORE DI CARTIZZE:
Valdobbiadene DOCG Superiore di Cartizze is Prosecco’s “Grand Cru”. In this area the most exclusive Cartizze sparkling wine is produced. A selection of 107 hectares with the lowest yield of 12 tons/hectare to guarantee the best grape quality and the highest sugar contents reaching peaks of 17 g/L in the freshly pressed must. Unique organoleptic properties are typical of this wine of excellence.

Numbers

 

1,2 Million bottles
108 Ha
120 qli/Ha

Territorio Pdc Cartizze - Prosecco superiore di Valdobbiadene

CARTIZZE

TYPOLOGYYIELD PER HECTAREN° BOTTLESVINEYARD SURFACE
DOCG CARTIZZE12 T/Ha1.2 million108 hectares
DOCG RIVE13 T/Ha2 millions249 hectares
DOCG CONEGLIANO
VALDOBBIADENE
13.5 T/Ha90 millions8.089 hectares
DOCG ASOLO13.5 T/Ha17 millions2.000 hectares
DOC PROSECCO18 T/Ha500 millions23.500 hectares