Prosecco is a wine that can be produced exclusively in the North-East part of Italy, in the Veneto and Friuli Venezia Giulia regions.

The vine

“Glera” is the main grape variety used in the vinification. Prosecco wine must be produced with at least 85% Glera grapes. The remaining 15% can derive from 4 indigenous varieties Verdiso, Bianchetta Trevigiana, Perera and long Glera, and from 4 international varieties: Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.

Types of


1) Distinction based on the territory of origin of the grapes



/ Wider area of ​​production.
/ New vineyards cultivated almost entirely on the plains by mechanical means.
/ Very high volumes and low production costs.
/ Product designed to meet the needs of a growing international market of large-scale distribution.
/ Yield: 18 Tons / hectare.


/ Area that includes the Conegliano-Valdobbiadene and Asolo denominations.
/ Hilly surfaces and a mild climate create a natural habitat for the Glera grape variety.
/ Vineyards cultivated by hand, difficult to reach with machinery due to the steep slopes.
/ Reduced production to favor the quality of the wine.
/ “RIVE” selection is produced on the steeper slopes.
/ Yield: 13-13,5 Tons / hectare.


/ Prosecco’s “Grand Cru”. In this area the most exclusive of all Prosecco wines is produced: Cartizze sparkling wine. This area is called the “GOLDEN PENTAGON” due to it’s pentagon shape.
/ It is a selection of 108 hectares where grape production is reduced to a minimum, ensuring the best quality of the grapes and a higher sugar content. Unique organoleptic properties are typical of this wine of excellence.
/ Yield: 12 Tons / hectare.

2) Distinction based on the production process used


This is a still version of Prosecco with absence of bubbles. It is obtained by bottling the wine at the end of the first fermentation, without implementing any second fermentation process.

This version must have a bottle pressure lower than 2.5 Atmospheres, favoring the creation of a slight bubble. It involves a second fermentation given by the addition of yeast and sugar which can take place in an autoclave tank or in the bottle.

This version is the most widespread and covers about 90% of the entire Prosecco production. The pressure in the bottle must be higher than 3 Atmospheres, favoring a persistent and creamy bubble. At the end of the first fermentation, the wine undergoes a second fermentation given by the addition of selected yeasts and sugar which allows the formation of carbon dioxide and slightly increases the alcohol content. The second fermentation takes place in most cases in an autoclave tank following the Martinotti / Charmat method. At the end of the second fermentation in the autoclave tank, the wine is filtered and bottled at controlled temperature and pressure. This technologically advanced process allows to produce clean, fresh and fruity wines.
The second fermentation can otherwise take place in the bottle following the traditional method “Sui Lieviti”(on the yeasts) or the Classic / Champenoise method. In the first case it is possible to obtain a slight haze due to the deposit of yeasts on the bottom of the bottle, while in the second case the yeasts are removed with the classic technique of “degorgement” used in Champagne.

3)Distinction based on the residual sugar (only in the Sparkling “Spumante” version)


Prosecco Brut:

from 0 to 12 g / L of residual sugar in the bottle.

Prosecco Extra Dry:

from 13 to 17 g / L of residual sugar in the bottle.

Prosecco Dry:

from 18 to 32 g / L of residual sugar in the bottle.

Prosecco Demi Sec:

from 32 to 50 g / L of residual sugar in the bottle.